This vegetarian eggs Benedict with sautéed asparagus and mushrooms, and a healthier version of hollandaise sauce, is a delicious way to get your brunch on. If asparagus and mushrooms aren’t your cup of tea, modify the toppings to your heart’s content.
Vegetarian Eggs Benedict
Portion Fix Containers: 1G 1R 2Y 1O
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 27 mins
Total time: 42 mins
Serves: 2 servings, 2 halves each
1 tsp. olive oil
4 oz. sliced mushrooms
4 oz. asparagus tips (1-inch pieces) (about 1 cup)
2 cups water
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice (or white vinegar)
4 large eggs
2 whole grain English muffins, split, toasted
¼ cup Healthy Hollandaise Sauce
1 tsp. finely chopped parsley (for garnish; optional)
1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes or until mushrooms release liquid.
3. Add asparagus; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Remove from heat. Set aside.
4. Place water in medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add lemon juice; reduce heat to maintain a gentle boil.
5. Break two eggs into a small bowl. Hold bowl close to the water’s surface and slip the eggs, one by one, into the water. Cook until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken, about 5 minutes. Gently lift eggs out of water; keep warm. Repeat, cooking two eggs at a time.
6. Place English muffins on a serving plate. Evenly top each muffin half with mushroom mixture, an egg, and Hollandaise Sauce. Garnish with parsley if desired; serve immediately.
Vegetarian Eggs Benedict Recipe Variations (for two servings):
Avocado – Add ¼ avocado. Add ½ blue container equivalent for each serving
Roasted Red Bell Pepper – Substitute ½ cup roasted red bell pepper for mushrooms or asparagus
Spinach – Substitute 3 cups raw spinach for mushrooms or asparagus
Tomato – Substitute 6 slices of tomato for mushrooms or asparagus
Portobello Mushroom – Substitute 2 grilled portobello mushrooms for the English muffin. Add ½ green container equivalent and eliminate 1 yellow per serving
(Recipe from Team Beachbody Blog)
Enter below to join my next FREE Clean Eating Challenge!
Enter your name, email address, and why you want to do the challenge or what your eating goals are!
Join the Lead a Happy Life FREE 14 Day CHALLENGE!
Get started today, Join the community here: