This big kid had his first day of winter preschool today!
He brought home a cookie recipe- so of course he had to make them!
We love baking as a family, but the calories can add up QUICK. Here's "Six Simple Swaps" that I use when baking!
1. Always half the recipe! With our family of 4 we rarely need a full batch of anything. If you're my planning on sharing with your neighbors, save yourself the temptation!
2. Use the freezer! If we do make a full batch of cookies we will freeze half of the dough (in balls) for a quick treat another night. If we make things like breads, pancakes or muffins we will also freeze what we don't use for quick snacks and dinner sides!
3. Use a healthier oil! Some of our favorite oil subs are coconut oil, organic butter, or unsweetened applesauce.
4. Switch up your flour mix! I get it- not everyone is crazy about whole wheat flour and I know how finicky husbands and kids can be! We love "Whole Wheat White" flour. You may want to start with a blend of wheat and white flour- I sometimes use 1/2 of each in a recipe. Another thing I love to do is add oats. It add nutrients and makes the food more hearty. When doing this you may need to up your leavening and possibly add more flour.
5. Swap your sweetener! Subbing sweater is a super simple way to reduce calories and cut out refined ingredients. We like honey, pure maple syrup, and stevia as sweeteners. Blending 1/2 honey or maple syrup with 1/2 stevia is a way to keep the sweet (and the smile on your kids faces ;)) but still cut the calories (to make mom happy!)
6. Sneak in extra protein! Adding an extra egg or swapping 1/2 the milk for Greek yogurt is an easy way to add extra protein to a baked good! I love sneaking these extras into pancakes and muffins especially! Ground up Chia seeds can also be easily mixed in for added energy.
#leadahappylife #eatclean #cookiemonster #nomnom#momofboys
Enter below to join my next FREE Clean Eating Challenge!
Enter your name, email address, and why you want to do the challenge or what your eating goals are!
Join the FREE Clean Eating Challenge today!
Get started today, Join the community here: