Add these yummy, slow cooked refried beans to your next taco meal!
Slow Cooker Refried Beans
Total Time: 8 hrs. 15 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 8 hrs.
Yield: 12 servings, about ½ cup each
1 lb. dry pinto beans (about 5 cups), rinsed, sorted
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt), divided use
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 sprig fresh espazote (or fresh oregano)
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
6 cups hot water, divided use
1 tsp. olive oil
1. Place beans, onion, garlic, ¾ tsp. salt, pepper, espazote, red pepper, and 4 cups water in a 3-quart slow cooker; cover. Cook on high for 6 to 8 hours, or until beans are soft. Add additional water, if necessary, so that beans do not become dry.
2. Remove and discard espazote sprig. Strain beans, reserving liquid.
3. Heat oil in large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Add strained beans and ¼ cup of reserved liquid; cook, mashing with a potato masher, for 5 to 8 minutes, or until they form a rough purée. Add more water if necessary to keep the fried beans from getting too dried out.
5. Season with remaining ¼ tsp. salt; mix well.
(Recipe from Team Beachbody Blog)
Enter below to join my next FREE Clean Eating Challenge!
Enter your name, email address, and why you want to do the challenge or what your eating goals are!
Join the FREE Clean Eating Challenge today!
Get started today, Join the community here: